Friday 15 January 2010

Witches

Photobucket

I asked him, Please remove your straw from my milkshake, your strawberry froth will ruin my fur coat.
He asked if I had carried on acting and playing the violin since we last spoke.
I told him No, no way. Not since I auditioned for Tamora.
Theatre was boring anyway, ever since all those overcast afternoons in primary school, putting together thorny crowns for the prop department. It wasn't a department at all. It was that woman with the terrible neuralgia whose son died in the faraway country. Is she dead now? No one told me what neuralgia was. Someone said it was like the cow illness only longer. I found the condition in a red library encyclopaedia and there was a picture of a neuralgic patient: he had lightning striking his face and he was screaming and he was screaming until the encyclopaedia thudded shut.
A splotch of milkshake kisses fake fur.
Violin? He prompted, rustling through some broken biscuits.
Calluses, I said. Each finger like a winter branch.
I asked about all the afternoons we had spent holding hands by the river, all that tar and fire and sickly sun and nights with sore skin on our lips. He said we wasted them. I didn't say Yes, we did. He was always scared of the river anyway. He was frightened of falling. When we went to the river it never looked particularly strong. The last thing to drown in that river was a witch.
Whatever happened to witches? They probably still exist but we are looking in the wrong places. Where would witches live today?
There, he drew.

Slow afternoon light.

Christian Marclay in 'Ghost (I Don't Live Today)'. No copyright infringement intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment